Baking is a great way to get your kids involved in the kitchen and build on all kinds of skills: mixing, measuring, learning about ingredients, etc. The bonus is that the sweet treat at the ends means the fun keeps on going.
These cookies are quick, fun & easy to make! Substitute nonpariels or colored sugar for the cinnamon topping and create festive cookies for any holiday!
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ½ cup butter or margarine, softened
- ½ cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Cream together 1 1/2 cups of the sugar, the butter, shortening and eggs in a large bowl. Stir in flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
- Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch balls. Mix 1/4 cup sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls in cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until set. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.
Makes 4 dozen cookies